Saturday, October 09, 2004

Back Online

After spending a week planning out various home network topologies, I finally just picked up another wireless ethernet bridge, the Netgear WGE101. Configuration was a breeze and now my upstairs room is back online!

In the middle of the week I thought I would be fancy and buy a wireless access point (the Netgear WG602) and set it up in bridge or repeater mode. After failing to configure it for hours, I found some documentation that noted that bridge or repeater mode only works with the same model. Thus, I was doomed to fail as I was not trying to bridge to another WG602. Argh!

Next I plan to move up one of my downstairs computers, the Gentoo linux box. I will probably fiddle around with this system and may do away with Gentoo and try out Fedora Core 2. Both are linux distributions and it is mostly for me to play around with firewalls, web servers, database servers, email servers, and networking.

I got talked into buying the extended warranty for the wireless bridge. I usually don't buy those types of offers, but my previous wireless bridge died and that swayed my opinion.

No comments: