Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Eight Years

Today is a bit sentimental to me, because eight years ago today, I moved to the Seattle area, to start a new job on the following day. My family moved around quite a bit when I was younger, and I never really got attached to any specific place. I usually just saw each move as another adventure to embark upon.

As an adult, I moved to Houston to attend college, and wound up living there for over 10 years. However, a few months after moving away, I didn't miss Houston very much at all, just a handful of friends that remain. As I prepare to move away, I realize that I am attached to my current home area, for the first time ever in my life.

The Pacific Northwest offers quite a bit: lakes, mountains, rivers, and plenty of activities that go along with a great outdoor environment. Yes, it rains often, but most of the time it is a light drizzle, which is nothing like the heavy thunderstorms that used to drench the Houston area. Here, you can still persevere and go out; there, you might die in a flash flood or tornado. The climate is mild and overall, I like the weather. Beautiful summer days here are better than anywhere else I've lived.

Since moving to this area, I have taken up running, snowboarding, volleyball, swimming, biking, and triathlon. So I've gotten healthier, made several great friends... but sadly no relationships whatsoever. That's the only thing about my time here that I am sad about. However, I am optimistic that Florida will be different in that respect.

Part of me is excited about the move, it is just drowned out by the reality of errands getting a home ready to put on the market. And of course, actually moving away.

No comments: