Friday, June 22, 2007

Lisbon

I had a day layover in Lisbon on the way home, so I made the most of it by walking around from my hotel, near the Marquês de Pombal monument, to Baixa, the historic downtown.


Marquês de Pombal
Originally uploaded by klbarrus




Tile
Originally uploaded by klbarrus
This street had really wide sidewalks with some intricate inlaid tile patterns.



Obelisk
Originally uploaded by klbarrus




Fountain at Rossio
Originally uploaded by klbarrus




Praça do Comércio
Originally uploaded by klbarrus



After sitting for a bit in Praça do Comércio, I decided to walk over to São Jorge Castelo (St. George Castle), up on a hill. But, I got totally lost in the Alfalma district of Lisbon, which was a maze of narrow sidewalks with constant stairs and turns. I kept going up since the Castle was somewhere above me, but buildings blocked the view. Eventually I emerged and got my bearing, but I decided it was too late to go in the castle (the grounds were closing in 30 mins) so I headed back to the city center. Eventually I decided to just ride the subway back to the hotel since my feet were tired.

No comments: