Friday, August 27, 2004

House Painting Start

As a home owner I have my share of improvements and maintenance chores. Earlier this year I replaced my furnace, because it was the original one that came with my house and therefore was a bit over 20 years old. It was working fine, but I decided to replace it before the winter just in case. Besides, a newer furnace should run more efficiently.

Another maintenance item my house needs is exterior painting. It doesn't look bad, but one side of my house looks a bit worn, and some of the paint is peeling off the chimney. I was going to wait until next summer, but I took a good look one day while mowing the lawn and decided I would try to schedule it to happen this year.

The side of my house that looks worn is the two story side, so when you add in the roof height that side is at least 25 feet tall, maybe even taller. I could paint the other three sides without too much difficulty (I could get a 10 foot ladder and reach almost everywhere) but I don't want to be that far off the ground painting the last side. So rather than wait until my parents visit next year and draft my father into helping me paint, I just hired a company.

They came by to pressure wash the house in preperation for painting. After a few more days they came by and painted two test patches of colors I picked out: Modest White and Simplify Beige.

Paint Colors


The test patch shows the original color, around the upper and left edges. The bottom shows one and two coats of white, and above that is two coats of beige. I want to lighten the color of my house a bit, so I'll go with two coats of white. My house is a darker color than that, and will show through the two coats of paint and give me the result I am looking for. The trim will be white, and since there isn't a darker color underneath it will come out looking white, just like in the picture.

I'm not sure when they will start painting, as we are currently in a week of mild rainy weather. The convenient thing about exterior painting is I don't need to be present at all, so they will start when they think the timing is right.

If I feel the urge to paint something myself, there is always my fence... ;)

1 comment:

painting service said...

Spray paint that window blinds with earthy and rich color and it be a great focal point in your house.