Monday, August 30, 2004

Spectate Ironman Canada (?)

I intended to drive out to Penticton and spectate Ironman Canada. I really just wanted to see the 12+ hour finishers, because if I were to participate, that's where I'd be. Heck, I'd likely be in the 14+ hour group! So I planned to leave in the afternoon for Penticton and not be there the entire time.

Spectating Ironman Canada is one of the few ways to guarentee an entry spot. This event is so popular it has a qualifier system - do well at some other races and you'll earn an entry spot! If that isn't an option, the line forms at 10 a.m. the following day, and you are allowed to register yourself and one friend. Any remaining spots enter an online raffle after a few days.

Showing up and waiting in line was my original plan... except over that past few weeks I really though about whether or not I could really find the time to train for an Ironman. Given I wind up juggling around my olympic distance training, and fell far behind on a half-ironman training plan, I talked myself out of an ironman next year. Therefore, it would have been a really long round trip drive to Penticton to not sign up. So I didn't go. Instead, I followed the coverage on Ironman Live for a while.

In the afternoon, Gail and I walked around Vancouver some more, and visited the "James Bond 007" special event at Science World. I'm a James Bond fan, even though most of the movies are just so-so. Still, I enjoy watching them. Some of my favorites are From Russia With Love, The Spy Who Loved Me, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, and GoldenEye. Thunderball is an interesting one also, because it was remade as Never Say Never Again!

No comments: