Thursday, April 28, 2005

Painting 2

Ah, the joys of getting a home ready for the market.

I painted my study (the third bedroom of my house) which presented a challenge - I have three bookshelves, a desk, a table, and two chests, with all sorts of items on them. In the ideal situation, I would have moved everything out, painted, and moved it all back in... but that would have easily taken an entire day just to move my things around. So what I did is paint as carefully as I could, around the various furniture - in other words, my paint job doesn't go all the way down to the floor. Oh well, that is as good as I can do. I still have a small section to do above my desk, which I'll get to after I clear off the desk.

I also attempted the hallway, which was a challenge because of two half flights of stairs - I have one wall that is 15 or 20 feet high, from the bottom floor. I tried various ladder configurations (but my ladder either extends fully or opens in an A-frame) and also bought a long handled roller, but it is still difficult for me to reach the top third of three walls. The problem is stability - I'm stretched out trying to reach, while balancing on the ladder - and can't press with the roller to paint. I don't mind painting when I'm on a flat surface, but bracing a ladder on the stairs to reach waaaay up and over to paint a high corner... that made me uneasy.

After spending a lot of time painting, I'm satisfied with what I've done and how it turned out. To finish off the rest, I'm going to call up a painter my realtor recommended. I think a professional painter will have a telescopic ladder and other gizmos to paint the wall section I can't reach, including the corners.

No comments: