Monday, May 16, 2005

Painting 3

The painters finally made it and finished up the hallway. In general, they did a mediocre job, proving the adage "if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself". They missed a few spots, leaving me to do some spot touch ups, except for one place I can't reach.

Ultimately, I was dependent on two things: a) their ability to reach the high corners of my hallway, and b) spray my popcorn ceiling above the hallway. The ceiling turned out really well, I must add.

At this point, I just need to make another vacuum pass through the house before meeting my realtor on Wednesday. We'll have to strategize about my roof - it is the original one from 1981 or 1982. It doesn't look horrible but some of the shingles are coming up and apparently a house inspector has to certify the roof for 5 years in order to sell the home. Since a roof typically lasts 25 years, mine is about up. In reality, a buying agent will use the roof as a negotiation technique so I may need to address it somehow - either repair the roof (I found a company that will do it for about $6000, which is actually on the inexpensive side for this type of work) or just somehow offer a discount on the house. Hm....

No comments: