Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Thievery Corporation

A few weeks ago a friend sent mail around, gauging interest in an upcoming Thievery Corporation show. I responded with an enthusiastic "yes" and looked forward to tonight's concert.

Thievery Corporation is a group I decided to try out as part of last year's "music expansion" goal. I listened to samples of songs on iTunes and bought The Mirror Conspiracy and The Richest Man In Babylon to start out, and now I own 7 of their CD's, most in electronic form. Their sound is a mix of mellow electronic beats with an international influence - everything from Brazilian to Indian to African.

As an extra bonus, our friend Sandy found a cheap flight up from the Bay Area and came up to join us! I picked him up at the airport and we ate a quick dinner and met up with Francesca, Alexandra, and Tim at the venue. Francesca was pleasantly surprised to see him, and we filed in. They played for an hour and a half, and it was a great show with booming bass and a psychedelic light show.

I recognized quite a bit of their music, but don't actually know many song titles. As Francesca says, it is easier to remember the track numbers. Thievery Corporation is a duo, but there were at least 10 musicians on stage, so I assume they had session musicians touring with them, to play all the instruments.

No comments: