Saturday, March 03, 2007

Real Florida 5K

This is a small 5K held at the Wekiva Springs state park. What makes it different from most other events in the area is that this is a trail run. It doesn't have crazy elevation gain or treacherous terrain... although there are a few roots and small dips and climbs. What makes it hard is the sand and loose dirt throughout the course.

So I was quite happy to finish this 5K in 23:40, good for 5th in my division. I forgot to stop my watch until I walked to the end of the finish chute, so that says 24:10 or so. Afterwards I hung out with some friends and cheered for others I knew doing the race.

The run was tough. I could feel it afterwards, and see it reflected in the heart rate chart - I was at 190 and above for much of the event. I guess this means I have no excuse for finishing slower than 23:40 at a road 5K. ;)

No comments: