Saturday, September 24, 2005

Autumn Rock 'n Run 5K

I showed up early to volunteer at registration, so I had plenty of time to get my packet, take it back to my car, and get set.

My goal was to take a few seconds off my previous 5K PR, and if things were to go really well, come in under 23 minutes. Results were already posted by the time I got back from breakfast. I managed to beat my goal on chip time, 22:52 or a 7:21.4 min/mi pace! If I can shave just a few more seconds off I can dream about a 45 minute 10K... next season. My only running goal this year is to do 1:45 at the half marathon coming up in December.

Anyway, my HRM/footpod absolutely nailed the distance. According to the watch, I covered 3.10 miles. Yes... accurate to the 1/100th of a mile! I know the footpod has accelerometers to account for pacing; I wonder if the accuracy varies by pace, because it wasn't that accurate on a slower training run. Or maybe the GPS was off instead. ;)

I set my HRM to take a split every mile, and the results were:

  • Mile 1 - 7:20.5
  • Mile 2 - 7:09.9
  • Mile 3 - 7:35.9
  • 0.1 mile - 0:49

I forgot about this and didn't hear my watch beep until the 3rd mile, when I passed a volunteer calling out times right as the watch beeped to signal it took a split.

More data for my inner number cruncher. :) The times makes sense - mile 2 was fastest because I spent some time in mile 1 weaving around slower runners, and I was getting tired in mile 3.

After the race, I met some coworkers for breakfast. They have a tradition called "credit card karma", where everybody puts in their credit card, and the waiter chooses a random one who then picks up the bill. There were 5 of us, so good odds, and I wound up having a free breakfast. Right as they were leaving, some people from the Orlando Runner's Club showed up, so I sat with them and chatted a bit. Several members did a marathon in France that sounded more like an extended wine tasting trip - wine was featured at every aid station. I think that would seriously hamper my chances of finishing such an event!

No comments: