Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving

Dave, a friend in the Orlando Running Club, invited me to Thanksgiving brunch. I was a little hesistant to accept, since I thought it was a family gathering and I don't really know him that well, but he insisted it was OK. As it turned out, he did have some relatives there (his sister, uncle, and grandmother) but everybody else there was connected in an interesting six-degrees-of-separation way that traced back to... being neighbors in a condo complex years ago.

It made me think, of the years I lived in Seattle and Kirkland, I barely knew my neighbors at all. In the apartment near Green Lake, I barely talked to two of the other four units. In Kirkland, I only ever met two of the four others on my cul-de-sac. I certainly never visited my neighbors in their home or anything like that.

Anyway, brunch was great and there was plenty of food. I was stuffed and we left after chatting a bit. Two of the people there raised horses on a farm, so I listened to them talk about the work involved. I'm too lazy to get a dog, much less care for a stable of horses!

No comments: