Friday, March 03, 2006

Mr. and Mrs. Smith

This movie came to the top of my Netflix queue and I took it easy this evening and watched it. Most of what I heard of Mr. and Mrs. Smith had to do with the real life affairs of its stars, which seemed to drown out the movie itself.

By day, John (Brad Pitt) and Jane (Angelina Jolie) are in a declining marriage. However, they are secretly opposing international assassins, pulling off jobs in various locales while still making it home for dinner. Both their agencies discover their marriage and send them on the same assignment, where they interfere with each other and figure out the truth. They look to kill each other out of fear, but they realize both their agencies have issued death warrants for them, so they bond together to stay alive, and rekindle their marriage.

This movie isn't exactly a deep intelluctual piece, but I found it quite entertaining. I'm a fan of the spy/action/thriller genre and this was good enough for me. What I also found funny were the scenes where John and Jane snipe at each other over their past - John is upset that the marriage has been a "web of lies" and that Jane is really an orphan, who hired an actor to pose as her mother for their wedding.

So while I did enjoy the movie, I like a similar movie (True Lies) even more. ;)

No comments: