Thursday, May 04, 2006

Julius Caesar

I met Amy and some of her family at the Lake Eola Amphitheatre, where we watched Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. It had been many years since I read the play in high school... and my memory had slipped as to what happened after Caesar was killed. I only remembered two quotes from the play ("It was Greek to me" and "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war") and those were relatively early.

The costumes took a little getting used to - all modern. No togas! Brutus wore a suit and tie and carried a briefcase. Others were in partial military gear, and Caesar wore a black sweater and sorta looked like a African dictator outfit. I'm sure the actors would probably have preferred togas since it was fairly warm in the evening.

As for what happened after Caesar was assassinated, how could I have not remembered. In a Shakespearean tragedy, everybody dies! A civil war ensues and eventually the main conspirators feel guilty and commit suicide. And they say modern TV shows are violent. ;)

No comments: