Saturday, November 20, 2004

Dunedin

We arrived in Dunedin (pronounced "done eden") last night and had a nice cafe-style dinner in the center of town, called the Octagon. New Zealand's first university was located here, and the city still has a very college-town feel. Coffee shops, cafes, tons of student, etc.

Dunedin


We walked around the center of the city a bit, and then drove north to see Baldwin Street, listed in the Guiness Book of World Records as the world's steepest street. The google calculator tells me the slope is an amazing 38.3 degrees on average (1 foot rise, 1.266 foot run). Baldwin street is a dead end, so when you get to the top you have to turn around and descend. I happened to be driving today, and it was raining on top of that. Near the top of the hill I had to stop as another car was turning around, and I began to burn rubber... so I hit the brakes and then slowly crept to the top, where we took a few pictures. I rode the brakes on the way down, but the resident of the house at the top of the hill (who was turning around earlier), passed me on the way down.

Baldwin Street, world's steepest

No comments: