Friday, September 17, 2004

Close Encounter With a Foul Ball

I attended my third Mariner's game of the season tonight, with my friend Krisanne, and we saw them lose yet again. I will close out the season having only seen the Mariners lose!

Tonight however, something extra exciting happened. Normally, Krisanne and I chat and occasionally watch foul balls land all around us. This time, one arched overhead, and headed straight down. It took me a second to judge the angle, and I realized it was in fact coming straight at us - it would land so close to my seat I didn't even have to move to grab at it. I held out my right hand and tried to clutch it one-handed, but the ball bounced off me and landed a few rows back. Had I been quicker, I might have been able to take my jacket off and trap the ball, or put my left hand out to help with the catch. But, I broke my left wrist (scaphoid bone) about three years ago while snowboarding, and didn't at all want to risk an injury to it. So I deliberately didn't bring my left arm and hand up. Basically, I would have been extremely unhappy had I caught the ball but tweaked my wrist.

My right hand stung for a few minutes, but felt normal again by the end of the game.

Of all the dozens of baseball games I've watched over the years, this was the closest I've come to catching a foul ball.

No comments: