Monday, September 13, 2004

Ride to a Picnic

Today I mananged to combine exercise with a social function: I rode my bike to an alumni picnic.

The day didn't start well as a few minutes after I got up it started to rain heavily. But, by the time I was ready to head out the door, the weather cleared up.

The alumni picnic I rode to was held at Magnuson park in Seattle, which is conveniently close to the Burke-Gilman trail. This trail leads around the north end of Lake Washington, and eventually becomes the Sammamish River Trail which ends in Marymoor Park in Redmond. I can pick up the SRT about two miles from my house, mostly downhill along road with bike lanes, so it is very convenient.

At the Rice Alumni picnic, I talked to Ken, an alum who is a tenured professor at Green River community college. It was pretty interesting, hearing about the course load (teaches two classes per quarter) and a few other details of a teaching-only position, with no research load. Of course, having the summer off is really nice as well!

I helped myself to a few slices of strawberry-rhubarb pie before leaving and riding home. Total round trip was 38.9 miles, a nice ride.

No comments: