Monday, September 06, 2004

SJJ Half Marathon

I have a Labor Day tradition: run in the Super Jock 'N Jill half marathon. It started six years ago when I attempted it for the first time. Back then, it was my end of season goal, and was a stretch for me. This year, I hadn't been doing many long runs so it would also be a bit of a stretch.

The course changed three years ago to include a hilly section in middle, replacing a flat but congested out-and-back at the end. Last year the first big hill midway really hurt and by mile eleven I was shredded, forced to walk/run the remainder. I kept that in my mind as we started, reminding myself to hold back until after the hills and evaluate then.

What I usually do is see where I am at ten miles. If I'm there around ninety minutes into the race, I know I have a chance to beat two hours as the event turns into a thirty minute 5K at that point.

So I started off and checked my Forerunner a few times each minuute to check my pace, trying to keep it around 9 min/mile. I was on pace at six miles, running through around 55 minutes. The hilly section followed and this time I had enough energy to keep on without having to back off too much. I found my friend Kathy around mile seven, and ran with her for a mile or two, talking briefly. She said she wasn't feeling so good and told me to keep going as she stopped for water.

Normally I stop at every water station, but today I changed things around a bit. I drank a half liter before the race along with some Vanilla Gu (which had a nasty aftertaste), and then just stopped at every other water station. I felt hydrated and one problem with drinking too much is feeling bloated or feeling the water sloshing around in my stomach.

I passed ten miles at 91 minutes so I knew I could finish under two hours. I pressed on, felt a blister developing on my toe, but was able to ignore it as for the entire race, I was trying to recall a conversation I had a few weeks earlier. I have a pretty good memory but it isn't photographic and had related part of the story to another person, but felt I had mangled it slightly. Anyway, thinking about this kept me disassociated from the race and my minor pains so I was able to push a little harder.

I finished at 1:57:35 by my watch, and right at 1:59:00 official time. Basically, it took me 1:25 from the start of the race to cross the actual start line, which is when I started my watch and the Forerunner. One thing that really bugs me about this race is they hand out timing chips, but don't have a timing mat at the start line! Therefore, the chip only counts official time and if you are like me, lining up between the middle and end, you lose some time because it takes a while for the field to advance across the start line.

Anyway, I'm really pleased. 1:57:35 works out to an 8:58 pace, really good considering the course has a hilly section. My friend Bev wants to do a 1:51 half in Sacramento, which is on the edge of possibility - that course is flatter. Still, I'd need to do about 30 seconds per mile faster, which might be tough.

No comments: