Thursday, September 09, 2004

ESR Board

I joined the Eastside Runners shortly after I moved to Kirkland last year. I like to be involved in clubs I join, so over the past year I showed up at various meetings and weekend runs, volunteered at races, got involved in the triathlon subgroup, and met a bunch of people.

As it turns out, a spot on the board of directors opened up, and one of the board called up and asked if I were interested. I was, and asked for more information about the positions. There were two: Volunteer Coordinator (Vice President), and Social Chair. I was a bit leery of the volunteer coordinator position, as that sounded like a lot of responsibility and time. I mean, if that person is lazy then an event might be a disaster for all involved! I wasn't really sure what Social Chair was, and was informed that person's chief responsibility is organizing the summer picnic, holiday party, and various quarterly meetings.

I was a bit hesistant but then I was told the summer picnic was already planned, and nearly all the arrangements for the holiday party were done. Plus, other board members would help... I got to thinking, why not do it. I know that in any group, only 10% of the membership is active at best, and help is always needed.

So I said I'd do it, and at the summer picnic I was elected Social Chair.

Tonight was the first board meeting at which I was an officer. I showed up and found I already knew most of the other officers through the triathlon subgroup that I was involved in. No wonder they thought of me when a vacancy appeared!

We had dinner (pizza and salad) and got to business. Topics we covered were club finances, scheduling future board meetings, better membership renewal methods, newsletter, clothing sales, our rewards program, and sponsoring some children in a fun run. Eventually we spoke of the holiday party and the fall meeting, two topics that fall into my area.

Fortunately, there isn't a huge amount to do. For the holiday party, I just need to bring snacks as the main courses are already purchased and the facilities are rented. For the fall meeting, I just need to call around to the local libraries and secure a meeting room for 20 to 30 people, find a speaker, and setup refreshments. The refreshments are my discretion - the last meeting I attended the food resembled a post-race banquent (i.e. bananas, oranges, bagels) and the other board members said if I were to shake things up and bring chocolate and cookies nobody would mind. I even have a lead on a speaker - another board member knows a doctor who specializes in sports medicine and wants to speak on nutrition. To top it off, the meeting isn't scheduled until late October (the 26th) or early November (the 2nd), depending on when I can find a meeting place.

I suppose sometime the ESR homepage will update and list me as a board member. ;)

No comments: