Thursday, December 16, 2004

Company Merger

The big news at work on Tuesday was the rumor on merging with another company.

A few of the people read the news and exclaimed "That makes so much sense! That's why the recent reorg moved X into position Y and also explains Z's departure!". We had been getting a steady stream of mails from various high level executives congratulating so-and-so for their new position, or stating various business units had been moved around, and so forth.

I'm not one of those people. Generally, when I get reorg mail, I just look to see if it affects me. That means - is my boss the same? Is yes, I just delete the mail and continue to have a minimal opinion on the whole matter.

Today, we found out the rumor was real - Symantec is buying us! My group gathered in a meeting room and called into a conference call to listen to a question and answer session. All of us are curious what real difference this will make for our everyday jobs, and we aren't quite sure - probably not very much.

Our holiday party is this afternoon, so this will undoubtedly be a topic of conversation!

No comments: