Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Investment Club

Tonight's club meeting ran long, as we had to cover several topics. Besides, the food we ordered came late so there was a delay. While we were waiting, I described my trip to New Zealand, which everybody seemed interested in. One member, Fraser, is from the Christchurch area and he was excited to here me speak so highly of his native country!

We talked about what to do with absentee members - two people that joined have since moved away and while we don't want to kick them out, we'd like members to be able to attend most meetings and participate. A few people presented stock studies, and I did too, but found that I left out one number on my chart (estimated future earnings per share) and thus my numbers were off. So, I'll redo the chart for the next meeting.

We also held elections for next year's officers. The club is small and informal, and one goal is to give various members a chance to hold office. Actually, there was a great push to have members who hadn't served as any officer get a chance. The Secretary takes minutes and is thus quite a bit of work and requires perfect attendance, so that job went to a couple, Eric and Dawn, with the thought that at least one will be able to make every meeting. The Vice President is really optional - ours is currently one of the out-of-state members - so that went to Fraser, who's wife is due in July I believe. He should be able to miss a few meetings and it won't be a problem. Treasurer went to Jackie, who was eally interested in the position. It will require cashing checks monthly and possibly buying or selling stocks depending on what we vote on.

By the process of elimination and with some encouragement from the other club members, I accepted the nomination and became President. My main job is to run the meetings, so it is a simple job and I should be able to handle it. ;) My goal will be to keep the meetings on track so they don't run so late in the future!

No comments: