Saturday, December 04, 2004

Daylight Lag

I think the toughest thing about coming back from New Zealand has been the sudden change in daylight. It is late spring there, so the sun would rise early and set late. We were up most days before the alarm - when I say up I mean awake, not necessarily out of bed and ready to go! - and the sun was already shining. It was light until late in the evening.

Here, we are in late autumn and the sun is rising later and setting much earlier. I didn't gradually ease into it - I lost that time suddenly over the day I spent flying home. Had I been here the entire time, I wouldn't have noticed as much.

I was so curious about this, I just looked up the info on time and date. Currently, we are getting about 8:40 of daylight, from roughly 7:40 am to 4:20 pm. I'll pick Wellington, NZ since it is in the middle of the country, but New Zealand is getting nearly twice as much daylight - 15 hours, from 5:40 am to 8:40 pm.

No wonder I miss the daylight!

No comments: