Sunday, January 09, 2005

Bogged Down Reading

A co-worker loaned me the novel Life of Pi, with the cryptic message "I'd like to hear what you think of the ending".

Out of curiosity I looked this book up on Amazon, and read the reviews. It seems the book describes a survivial situation, and the main character offers two explanations: one is religious (I survived by a miracle!) and one is more scientific, for lack of a better word.

This sounds pretty intersting actually... except I'm bogged down in Chapter 18 (out of 100). I'd like to finish the book, and if I don't, there is the pressure of having to explain to my friend that I got bored with it.

The plot sounds similar to the movie K-PAX, in which Kevin Spacey plays an interplanetary visitor... or a crazy human. Various clues accumulate that he is indeed and alien (especially if you watch the extra scenes on the DVD), while at the same time, a more plausible explanation emerges that he is quite human but suffered immense trauma.

So I decided to take a break and read something else, and then come back to Life of Pi. I currently have more than a dozen unread novels on my shelf, and that same number of magazines piling up, so I have plenty to read. In fact, I am far behind!

No comments: