Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Hockey Hope

There is the slightest glimmer of hope in salvaging the 2004-2005 hockey season. I think at this point, with the time pressure, whatever agreement they come up with will just be a band-aid on the issues that divide the players and management. So maybe something tentative can be reached now, with the expectation that there will more negotiations in the off season.

The league is considering a 28 game season, followed by playoffs. If it happens, that would mean 7 games per person in my season-ticket pool. Half of those would be away games, so I'd expect tickets to 3 or 4 home games. Some of those games would be difficult to attend, but if I'm lucky I'd get one weekend game and a Thursday or Friday game. We'll see... I have one floating holiday I need to use up before April, so maybe that can be a hockey day.

One thing about relocating to Orlando is NHL hockey would be closer - the Tampa Bay Lightning would be 80 miles away. The Vancouver Canucks are about 140 miles away... in another country! ;)

Update

Two bits of info:

  • The format will be 14 home-and-away games, meaning every other Western Conference team will visit Vancouver once.

  • The players have until 11:00 am EST tomorrow (Feb 16th) to accept, otherwise as of 1:00 pm EST tomorrow, the season is cancelled.
  • No comments: