Saturday, February 12, 2005

Lake Eola

Today was beautiful weather and I decided to drive around the area. First, I went out west to Clermont, to see Lake Minneola and drive along part of the bike course of the Great Floridian triathlon. I heard there were rolling hills in this area, a marked contrast to the general flatness of Orlando. After a bit of time in the area, I would have to agree - the rolling hills reminded me a bit of the area around Enumclaw and the Cascades Edge/Black Diamond triathlons, for Washington area people.

Then, I lounged around downtown Orlando, and walked around Lake Eola and the surrounding area. I wanted to scout out area a bit because a few coworkers said it was a nice and developing neighborhood.

Garden at Lake Eola


Pagoda

In the platform to the left, a happy couple was getting married and taking lots of photos. Maybe I'll be in the background of a few of them. ;)

Lake Eola Fountain

This fountain looks like a flying saucer!

Traffic Circle Fountain

A cute fountain in the middle of a traffic circle. This part of Orlando has cobblestone roads.

Lake Eola reminds me of Green Lake in Seattle. Green Lake is bigger and has more park space, while Lake Eola has more businesses surrouding it (since it is downtown), but basically both lakes look like very popular recreation spots. The lake was currently "drawn down" (as a flyer announced) for maintenance, but it was still scenic.

No comments: