Friday, October 15, 2004

Angels and Demons

I've been trying to work my way through Master and Commander for quite some time. I really enjoyed the movie, so I thought I'd give the book a try. I've done this with a few movies/novels, such as Jurassic Park and The Hunt For Red October.

But, I just can't seem to get into it. The movie was based on the first book in the series, Master and Commander, and the tenth, The Far Side of the World, with a few plot changes. The plots sound great - in addition to the naval adventures of the captain (Jack Aubrey), the ship's surgeon (Stephen Maturin) is also a British Intelligence agent with a side mission to perform.

I'm a few chapters in and it isn't grabbing me yet. However, I don't think I'll abandon the novel, I'll just put it aside and read something else in the meantime. I decided to try Dan Brown's Angels and Demons since everybody I know who has read The Da Vinci Code raves about it. Why am I not reading that one instead? Well, I'm cheap and Angels and Demons is out in paperback now, and there are just a handful of authors I'm willing to buy in hardback. Since I haven't read anything by Dan Brown yet I'm not willing to buy it in hardback. However, if Angels and Demons is so amazing I can't wait for The Da Vinci Code to come out in paperback, I might try hitting Half Priced Books to look for the hardback.

Or, I might try the eBook version, in Microsoft Reader format. I have around 40 novels in this format, although I've only bought 3 of them - most of the others were given away in a weekly promotion, and I grabbed every one available. The eBook version is about $10, which is OK considering the paperback version will probably be $8. I could of course grumble about how the eBook format should be even cheaper than the paperback...

No comments: