Monday, October 04, 2004

Mount St. Helens

I've seen some pretty cool natural phenomena from an airplane. Twice, I've witnessed active thunderstorms, which are quite beautiful. Once or twice per second, the dark cloud mass would flash. After repeating this cycle for a few seconds, there would be a pause... and then a bright bolt of lightning would strike the ground.

No thunderstorm today, but instead I was something more unique. On the flight back from Sacramento, I got to see Mount St. Helens blowing steam. My flight passed just to the west of Mount St. Helens around 10:45 am, after the active period. I was also on the wrong side of the plane or I would have tried taking some pictures, but still, everyone aboard saw a huge trail of steam leading from the crater to the southeast. It looked like the smoke trail of a giant firecracker.

No comments: