Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Bank Migration

I've decided to switch banks.

I have no major issue with my current bank, 1st Security Bank of Washington (formerly Washington's Credit Union), except it isn't very convenient. The nearest branch is 8 to 10 miles away, doesn't have an ATM, isn't open on Saturday, and closes at 5 on weekdays (6 on Fridays). No Saturday hours is really annoying, especially when there isn't an ATM I could use to deposit a check (not that I like doing that). I've been using another credit union's ATM, which is closer and doesn't charge a fee, but I can't very well deposit a check there.

So I started looking around a few weeks ago. I wanted to find a national bank, rather than another regional bank, because sometimes I travel and want to be able to go to a branch and have someone help me. Several friends are with another regional credit union, First Tech Credit Union, but I ruled it out as I really want a national bank.

I decided on Wells Fargo. My mortgage is already there, which helps me qualify for the "super cool" checking account, the one with no fees for anything. There is a branch less than two miles away that has Saturday hours, a drive-through AND an ATM! I'll also join the 21st century and give electronic banking a try.

I only have a few electronic fund transfers to switch over - my electricity bill and car insurance. I'm sure Wells Fargo will switch the mortgage to my new account very easily! Changing my direct deposit should be simple as well, just a fax to the payroll group.

One thing I won't be using is the Wells Fargo Rewards program for their credit card and check card. This program basically winds up giving you 0.25% cash back. I get 1% back on my REI Visa and I can always find something to buy there!

No comments: