Sunday, October 03, 2004

Sacramento

I flew down to Sacramento this morning, to visit my friends Bev and Ben, and their two kids, Dylan and Sammy. The kids are getting bigger: Dylan is five and Sammy is three. Amazingly, they recognize me, although perhaps Bev gave them advance notice they were picking up "uncle Karl" from the airport.

I've visited once or twice a year for the past several years, usually timing my visits around ski season (Lake Tahoe) or the Sacramento half-marathon (first weekend in October). That is one purpose of this visit, Bev and I are participating in the half-marathon tomorrow morning. After leaving the airport, we headed to the expo to pick up our race numbers and goodie bags. Dylan and Sammy are under the impression Bev and I are going to win the event, so we'll have to break it to them that it just isn't going to happen. ;)

Bev has been biking since July, and wanted to show me the trail she rides a few times a week. First, I made a very minor adjustment to her bike's gears, so they wouldn't skip as much (basically a tweak on the rear derailleur limit screws). This is an easy fix, but now Bev thinks I'm sort of expert bike mechanic!

She borrowed a bike for me, and we rode out along Folsom Lake. We started out towards Sacramento, which is a flat section of the trail, and then turned around after a few miles to head the other way, back past our starting point to a park a few miles further. On the way to that park are three or four short sections of 10%-15% grade hills (according to the warning signs posted), so we got in a pretty good hill workout in our time riding around.


IMG_1282.JPG
Originally uploaded by klbarrus.
Sammy and Dylan in their car seats.



IMG_1284.JPG
Originally uploaded by klbarrus.
View of Folsom Lake

No comments: