Monday, October 04, 2004

Sacramento Half-Marathon

Ah, the season's last event. I arbitrarily end the season in early October, which is convenient as it is before my birthday. My next event is the Dawg Dash on the 24th, and I plan to take a few weeks off until then.

Bev and I arrived at the Sacramento half-marathon with just a few minutes to spare, and we were soon running. It was clear, sunny, and cool for this area. This event is flat and a double out-and-back: the half-marathon does one out-and-back, and the marathon does two. Before the race, Bev hoped for 1:55 or better. However, she hadn't been able to train much lately, so I kept pace with her and checked my Forerunner. We did pretty well for the first mile, but then Bev slowed a bit and I made the tactical decision to run with her instead of on my own. After all, I can do that almost every other event I participate in. ;)

This wound up being an "easy" run for me, as my heart rate was 60% or lower for most of it. We walked every aid station and passed the midpoint of our race at 1:07. She kept plugging away even though she looked like she was in a little pain from right-leg stiffness. The last mile was especially tough for her, but we stuck together and finished around 2:23. Right at the end, I surged ahead to finish one or two seconds ahead. ;)

After this we stuffed ourselves at her favorite Chinese restaurant. Then, I treated Jamba Juice smoothies and we came back ready to nap.

Despite being a low heart rate run, I'm just as sore as I usually am after a half-marathon. I need to stretch out my right achilles tendon, but other than that I'm fine.


IMG_1286.JPG
Originally uploaded by klbarrus.
Me and Bev after the Sacramento half mary 2004


After getting back, I had to send to mail to a friend in New York, John Lee. He also ran a half-marathon today: Grete's Gallop, named for Grete Waitz, a NYC marathon legend. John had an amazing run to finish in just under 1:42. Now THAT is an outstanding race! So congrats John!! :)

No comments: