Well, the deadline for accepting the relocation offer is here... and I'm still waiting to hear back from HR. Again, I'm not asking for the Alex Rodriguez treatment, I just want what various people have said to be placed in writing. Actually, it is more than that - the letter actually specifically says the only circumstance I get the retention bonus is if I don't move. The way I see it, if I don't get it reworded, I have zero grounds to complain if they suddenly decide not to pay.
I've mailed off to my boss and HR and everybody knows that's the only issue I have. HR said they'll get back to me ASAP, and to not worry about the deadline. This is reasonable - after all, they wrote the letter and set the deadline, so I think they can extend one to alter the other. I expect this will occur and I'll then agree to the relocation.
In other news, my phone interview went OK. I think I did well, but maybe not so spectacularly well that they'll consider me sooner than normal channels. I am supposed to hear in a week or two, which is pushing the envelope. That's OK really, I still flip-flop occasionally, but I am almost looking forward to going. It is as if I've been given a glimpse of a possible different life, and am curious enough to try my hand at the adventure.