I took some time at lunch to fix my aforementioned graffiti issue. It didn't take too long at all, but then I just painted the five vertical sections of the fence that were affected. I decided to paint today, because the last few days have been dry, while the weekend forecast calls for rain.
Last weekend, I tried to sand off the graffiti, but that didn't work very well at all. The wood was damp and that might have had something to do with it. So a few days ago I went into Home Depot, and bought some paint, latex gloves, and a brush.
I scored on the paint big time - I went with a friend who suggested I check the "oops" section, where I assume paint that wasn't the right color or otherwise mixed and abandoned, is kept. I found a quart of chocolate/dark brown, which was nearly the correct color, for $1.00 - what an enormous bargain!
I went cheap and just used a paper plate for the paint tray. Other than that, the gloves came in handy as by the time I was finished, I had paint smeared all over the fingers and palms. Cleanup was particularly easy because all I had to do is peel them off and rinse off the brush.
While I was painting, a neighbor came up and said hello, and thanked me for taking care of the graffiti. We chatted a short while before he wandered off. The whole time I was thinking that he might have been the person who complained to the city about the graffiti. ;)