Saturday, March 19, 2005

Wing Luke Museum

Alyssa wanted to go to the Wing Luke Asian Museum, to see the special exhibit on adopted asian children. This wasn't all that interesting to me, but I went along anyway because I knew there would be something else to see. The adoption exhibit was OK, and while I was looking around I suddenly realized why she was so interested: she is an adopted asian child!

I found the museum section on Camp Harmony to be more interesting. This camp was one of the sites setup by the U.S. during WWII to hold Seattle area Japanese-Americans. The display had pictures and written notes from people who lived there. The saddest picture was one of two children standing in a dirt road, in the middle of the camp, surrounded by barracks. It looked so desolate, and they looked so miserable.

The museum also had a more cheerful display on New Year's festivities, including video and a dragon hung from the ceiling. Overall there was quite a bit to see for such a small museum.

No comments: