Saturday, July 24, 2004

Dreaded Question

The other day my boss and I went to dinner, and we talked about various things. Books, sci-movies, and then he brought up something I was dreading:

"Have you thought about relocation?"

I made a non-committal grunt and he talked about the various benefits: cheaper cost of living, more visibility in my group which would benefit my career. I was half listening as my mind wandered around. I am single and have no family in the area, so perhaps I am an easy first target. I don't think the main group is trying to relocate all 18 or so of us in the Redmond office - some of them wouldn't leave. But for me, the only real thing keeping me in the Seattle area is the fact I mostly love it, and that's where I've built my life for the past few years.

I've managed to carve out a pleasant life for myself in the Seattle area. Since I moved here in 1997, I've made friends, gotten healthier as I took up running, biking, and swimming. I participate in triathlons, play volleyball, and snowboard in the winter. I bought a house close to work a little over a year ago, like my job, and enjoy how things are going in general... with the exception of my personal life - that has been essentially and unfortunately non-existent during my time here so far.

Orlando seems nice enough - it has a few unique attractions besides the theme parks. I'd have to give up snowboarding, but perhaps I could replace that with jet skiing or some form of boating. Or maybe I'd stay far away from the water - it doesn't help reading articles about alligator attacks!

I'm 35 and frankly dread moving and starting all over again. I've done that a few times, and it is exhausting adjusting to a new place and making friends. It takes years and these days one of the only things that would get me to move is a woman I intend to marry, and then I'd probably try to get her to move to me first, if we aren't in the same area already.

The good news is I am relatively certain nothing will come of this for months - we are busy through October attempting to meet a firm deadline, and after that I have some vacation in November and the holidays in December are always hectic. Since it takes a while to relocate the earliest I think this topic will seriously come up again is January of 2005. Plus, we are a viable remote site in Redmond - it isn't as if I'm the only person in my group not at the main campus. I think I can fend off relocation talk if it comes up again. What will be difficult is if, for whatever reason, I have to move for my job. So far it isn't being phrased that way.

2 comments:

Gail at Large said...

Dreaded question, indeed. It would be one thing if you decided on your own that you'd like to relocate somewhere, but when it's a question posed by your BOSS, it tends to hang over your head.

I temporarily relocated for work for about 9 months, not giving up my apartment. I would go home on the weekends and lived in two places. Frankly, I was miserable... now I work from home. If you're not 100% into the idea, it's hard to turn the mind around.

Krisanne said...

Don't do it, Karl! As you know from my LA experience, moving for a job isn't fun. I think you'd miss Seattle more than you know. Let's hope it doesn't have to turn into a serious discussion.