Thursday, July 08, 2004

Trail Gem

I got a late start today, was busy through lunch, and it wasn't until around 4 p.m. I managed to slip out of work to go running. My goal was a 45 minute run on trails, and I headed out to the Redmond Watershed, which has nice trails. Unfortunately, it is around 20-30 minutes to get there from work, so I would have spent as much time just getting there and back as I would spend running - not the ideal situation.

I can run right out the door from home or work, but I really prefer trails most the time as a dirt or gravel surface is much nicer on my joints.

As I was driving through Education Hill on the way to the Redmond Watershed, I passed the Power Trail. It suddently entered my mind that if I were to run on the Power Trail, I would save myself at least 30 minutes of just driving. So, I parked and headed out.

It was great: a wide gravel path, not busy, gentle hills. Previously I had run on the portion of the trail between the Sammamish River Trail (paved multi-use path) and the road it crosses on Education Hill, so I ran the other direction, east towards another main road. I estimate the distance as 2 miles, so it was a 4 mile round trip. Crossing the main roads in both directions should extend the trip another 1 or 2 miles, and possibly more. Sometime I'll explore further to the east.

I chalk this up as serendipity: discovery of a great gravel trail much closer and convenient to home and work! This is exciting; I plan to run on it at least once a week.

Flowers by the Trail

No comments: