Sunday, July 04, 2004

Fourth of July

My favorite holiday is the Fourth of July - Independence Day here in the U.S. It is a holiday that demands no travel or gift exchanging. Instead, it is all about enjoying yourself - relax with friends, picnic or BBQ, and watch fireworks.

Today I plan to run and bike, and then in the evening hang out with my friend Tom and his family. They live in Duvall, a rural community east of Seattle. What is great about that is that Duvall is rural... meaning, there is a more relaxed attitude towards fireworks. Sure, signs are around banning fireworks in public places, blah blah blah, but I'm sure the neighborhood empty lot or someone's driveway will serve just fine as a fireworks zone! He had some stories of the pyrotechnics from last year and I'm looking forward to a few roman candles and other assorted spinners.

One of my favorite July 4th memories was the year I visited my friend Kenton in rural Michigan. The fireworks committee was their neighbors, and we set of a steady stream of loud and colorful fireworks in a common field.

No comments: