Thursday, July 22, 2004

Fahrenheit 911

I saw this movie tonight. I'm sure you've heard all about it so I won't drone on and on.

What I thought was most sad was the lady who lost her son in the war. Obviously, there are hundreds of parents in the same situation.

What was most interesting to me was the scene where Moore is out trying to get congressmen to enlist their kids into the war. None of them went for it (only one congressman has a child in Iraq, according to the movie).

The movie closed mentioning a similar theme to a book I read, Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich. In the book she said the poor are the most generous people - they give up spending time with their kids to be nannies, they give up their own clean house to be maids, they make other people's lives better by their own hard work. Similarly, many recruits of our armed forces are from poorer areas, perhaps cities with depressed economies. These people join and are willing to risk their lives so the rest of us can benefit and have our freedom. And in this tragic case, their lives have been wasted.

1 comment:

Gail at Large said...

I wholeheartedly agree with that last paragraph. It's the people who have the least who give the most, if not in money but in effort. If you took the people who are currently serving, and remove those who were looking for a way to educate themselves but couldn't afford it, how many would be left?

I haven't seen Fahrenheit 911, but have heard a fair amount about it. I'll wait until the hubbub dies down to see it, and before I'll pass judgement.