Friday, July 16, 2004

Invisalign

Last January, I decided to have my teeth straightened - my lower teeth are a bit crooked. Instead of regular metal braces, I went with Invisalign. What appealed to me was the fact invisalign is removable, and that allows me to brush and floss normally!

The toughest thing about this decision was needing three teeth extracted - the extraction process was a bit tougher than usual. I had thought about getting braces many times, but always stopped because I knew I'd need a few teeth extracted, and I just didn't want to do that. But, I finally caved in and went ahead. Someday when I'm old I might miss those three perfectly healthy teeth I had extracted. Or not. ;)

The way it works is your orthodontist takes an impression of your teeth, and then Invisalign uses that to make pairs of trays (as my orthodontist calls them) for you to wear, a pair for every two weeks. The trays are slightly out of alignment with your teeth, so the trays push the teeth straighter. Each pair of trays is worn for two weeks, and then you move to the next set. I only visit the orthodontist once every six weeks, and come away with three new pairs each time. I wear mine anywhere between eight and sixteen hours a day, depending on where I am in the two week cycle.

Today I switch to a new set, pair #31 out of 40 (upper teeth) or 49 (lower teeth). Typically a new pair is kinda tough to put on, and results in this odd feeling, sort of between having something stuck in between your teeth and a gentle but firm squeezing around your mouth. But over the days it gets easier and easier, until it is time to slip on the next pair in the series. The changes are subtle but definitely happening - the gaps I had from the extractions are filling in as my teeth move.

I took a picture of the trays but it came out rather blurry. I'll reshoot later.

No comments: