Monday, July 19, 2004

Florida Fun - Indoor Skydiving

I saw this when I was here in February, and made a mental note to definitely do it next time I was in town. Since I'm here in Orlando again on business, I had the chance and it was the MOST fun I've had in quite some time. I may go again before returning home!

SkyVenture Orlando is a building with a giant vertical fan. It generates wind at speeds of up to 120 mph, and on this column of air you can simulate flight.

After signing up, I climbed up the stairs and met the other people in my group. We then watched a short instructional video on correct form and hand signals. Correct form helps the air flow over you evenly: legs slightly bent; arched up from your hips; elbows bent; arms forward and relaxed; hands near your head. After a brief quiz and practicing form on a table, we were given a flight suit, goggles, helmet, ear plugs, and elbow and knee pads. The flight suits had small padded handles along the arms and back which could be used to grabbing and helping correct someone's position while in "flight".

The flight chamber was a small circular room with a mesh floor and ceiling. The walls were clear plastic and there was an observation room on the other side. Finally, the fan cranked up, and when it was my turn, I entered the chamber.

To enter, you hold your arms across your chest with fists under your chin, and gently lean into the room. The instructor grabs you and helps to lay you out horizontally while you stretch out into correct form. I entered and soon was floating on the air current! The instructor reminded me to look up and straighten my legs, but on the whole I got the hang of it quickly and experimented with floating up and down by subtle bending from the waist. It was so fun, I know I was grinning like a fool as I floated around and looked at the audience (friends and family of the others in my group). Too soon my time was up and I exited. To leave the room, you grab the door frame and pull while stepping down.

After a few more minutes, it was my turn again. After floating up and down and doing well controlling myself, the instructor showed me how to start a controlled horizontal spin. He mimed what he wanted me to do, but for whatever reason the first two or three times I didn't catch on and did it wrong. Basically I was only tilting my hands and rotating around my wrist. After another demo, I saw that what he wanted me to do was dip one shoulder slightly and raise the other one. After doing this, I began to turn slowly and was soon experimenting with spin while floating around the chamber. Again, my time was up all too soon and I exited with a giant smile on my face.

I didn't get any pictures, because I was there by myself. However, I bought the video of my time in the chamber and if I can transfer that to the computer, I can isolate a good picture or put the entire thing up for viewing.

SkyVenture


A few cities around the country have this opportunity: see Flyaway Indoor Skydiving and SkyVenture.

I highly recommend this - it is not to be missed!

7 comments:

Gail at Large said...

I would LOVE to try that!!! It's like parachuting, but better, in the sense that you don't have that added spookiness of plummeting to earth -- you can concentrate on your body positions and air currents. It's probably something I would try BEFORE parachuting, so when it came time to parachute, I could actually enjoy the free-falling because I would be more familiar with what to do with my body.

Dawn said...

Hi,
How much was it and do you have to be a certain age?
Thanks for the info

klbarrus said...

Hi Dawn,
I couldn't figure out a way to mail you so I hope you see this. It is $45, and anybody under 18 needs a parent/guardian sign a waiver. Try it out, it is pretty fun!

Dawn said...

Thanks...next time we are in Orlando we are going.

Orlando Hotels said...

I recommend it strongly! it's good to know that you can do in great Orlando stuff other than theme parks...Indoor Skydiving is sure fun and a good reason to visit Orlando.

Joel said...

I know this post is somewhat old now, but I just came across it and thought I would put my two cents worth in.

To Gail:
Quite a few active skydivers in Central Florida spend a lot of time practicing at Skyventure Orlando. It's easier to learn new things and perfect skills in the tunnel (plus you get more time.. average freefall is just over a minute). People about to go through AFF find it useful as well. It's much cheaper to practice in the wind tunnel than to have to rejump AFF level 3 three times. When I lived outside Orlando, I was at the tunnel almost every week, even when I wasn't actively skydiving.

To Dawn:
Hope you enjoyed it. Even though the price has gone up from when I lived down there (was 19.00 for return fliers when I started in 2000) it is still more than worth it for the experience.

houston Kenna said...

A fantastic read….very literate and informative. Many thanks las vegas skydiving