Thursday, July 08, 2004

Wading Back Into IRC

After considerable thought, I came up with a new nickname to try out on IRC: DPRoberts.

I wanted "Dread Pirate Roberts" but that is too many characters, so I abbreviated. I fired up my IRC client (XChat), filled out my user info as anonymously as possible, joined the #flychicks channel on EFNet, and just lurked. My whole goal was to comment every now and then and wait until somebody asked me "who are you"? to which I would reply "no one of consequence" or "no one to be trifled with"!

Eventually some people I knew logged on and I made a few sly comments to them... finally I got the response I was waiting for:

<noelani> Really...who are you?
<DPRoberts> no one of consequence
<DPRoberts> hehehe
<noelani> come on :)
<DPRoberts> I've been WAITING for somebody to ask that!
<DPRoberts> I love The Princess Bride ;)
<noelani> I love it too!!

As a side note, isn't Noelani a cool name? It means "Heavenly Mist" in Hawaiian.

Anyway, I wound up chatting with a few others: Krisanne, Alex (who was very anxious to hear from a woman he had a date with; he was seeking advice on how to proceed), Kate (back from a night of karaoke), Meg (taking a computer break while working at a summer camp). All in all, it was fun. I tried to watch The Amazing Race which was on TV in the background, but I pretty much missed the entire thing.

I'll probably just go with the userid klbarrus from now on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're DPRoberts?! :O

If I'd known that I would have gabbed your ear off! hehe

-Breigh

Anonymous said...

I'll be sure to say hello next time, Breigh!!
- Karl

Gail at Large said...

Karl, maybe I'll jump into #FlyChicks just to harrass you... watch your ass, Dread Pirate Roberts!