Friday, July 02, 2004

Evaluating a Restaurant

I almost always order familiar food when I eat at a new restaurant. I know they way I like certain dishes and use those dishes to judge a new restaurant's quality - a place may be five star, but if they mangle my particular favorite meal then I will have a bad opinion!

For example, in a Chinese restaurant I've never been to, I'll order either kung pao chicken or curry chicken. Mexican restaurant? I'll get a chili relleno. I'll order the lasagna at an Italian restaurant, and chicken vindaloo at an Indian restaurant. Thai food is a problem - I like so much of it I need extra time to decide between green, yellow, red, panang, or musamun curry. ;) And so forth for other cuisines.

Today we had lunch at work (my group is working to meet a deadline*) and they ordered Chinese food for us. Predictably, I ordered the kung pao chicken. Verdict: sauce is too watery and it wasn't my favorite vegetable mix - this had celery and bamboo shoots, which are OK, but not my favorites. My favorite kung pao chicken is simpler: spicy sauce, chicken, peanuts, and green peppers. A restaurant across the street from my undergrad university served it exactly that way, and I ate there at least twice a week while I was a student.

* Don't worry, I'm working too instead of just blogging. ;) I have some downtime waiting for a build to complete.

No comments: